North Kent Community Services is a Christian organization in northern Kent County that helps our struggling neighbors with basic life needs and guides them to self-sufficiency. Donations and volunteer efforts make everything that we do possible. How may we help you?
- Apply to be on a committee for 2015. Click here to apply by December 15. Click here for full committee descriptions.
- Provide hot meals for Thrive participants (12 women) delivered on Monday evenings at 6:15 p.m. Sign up here to bring Thrive dinners.
- Purchase $20 gas cards for Thrive participants.
- Participate in the Christmas Star Tree program – purchase new underwear, socks, pajamas, hats and gloves for children. Sign up here for the Star Tree Program.
- Volunteer for our Christmas Store (December 15-17) or to sort Toys for Tots during the week. Sign up here to volunteer at the Christmas Store or call Katie Hop at 866-3478 ext. 103.
- Buy $10 Simply Give food cards at your local Meijer from November 2 to January 2. Cards bought at the Cedar Springs Meijer benefits CS Community Food Pantry while ones purchased at the Rockford Meijer benefits NKCS.
- Buy and donate cereal at Family Fare Rockford Nov. 6 to Dec. 6 for the United Bank Cereal Challenge.
- Volunteer to prepare taxes for the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Program from January to mid-April. Contact Dawn Ellis at 866-3478 ext. 104 or
Want more ways to be involved? Learn more!
“A lot of times the challenges are the same (in rural and urban areas), but the solutions are different... When you’re poor in rural America, you’re much more isolated.”
For instance, while many city dwellers can take public transportation to work, “in rural America, to hold down a job it’s pretty much a necessity you have a car,” she said. But having a car that runs -- or even owning one -- is a challenge for many families.
Read more about rural poverty in northern Kent county in this in-depth article by Charles Honey for the School News Network.
On the Web:
Rural Poverty Demands Unique Solutions
Did you miss our event, North Kent Pastors' Got Talent? Or maybe you just want to relive the magic of the night... either way, why not take a few minutes to watch our highlight video of the evening?
On the Web:
Did you know that we send out two brief, informative e-newsletters every a month to both the community members and our clients? It's a great way to stay in touch with the happenings of NKCS. You can sign up for one or both of these e-newsletters by visiting our Newsletters page and completing the sign-up form.
On the Web:
©2014 All Rights Reserved
Website Made by CityWebCentral